Friday, October 15, 2010

Beware Oktoberfest

I was lured out to Oktoberfest events twice last week, once by free sausages
(yum) and once by free pancakes and sausages (alas, the line was too long). I had a good time at each event, but... there was the music. I enjoyed it at the time. I enjoyed watching the crowd bobbing up and down to polka time. I even enjoyed watching parents teach their kids the chicken dance.

But it's been over a week, and I still have the Pennsylvania Polka stuck in my head.

I made the mistake of emailing my brother about it, and he cruelly emailed back the lyrics.

Strike up the music the band has begun
The Pennsylvania Polka.
Pick out your partner and join in the fun
The Pennsylvania Polka.
It started in Scranton, it’s now No 1
It’s bound to entertain you
Everybody has a mania
To do the polka from Pennsylvania

I sing out of tune even in my head, and I really can't hit the notes on that last line.

I'm a little paranoid about ear worms because I once had Hail to the Chief stuck in my head for two years. That was a rough time. When the Pennsylvania Polka knocks around in my head I have tried displacing it by thinking of the scene where it's played in Groundhog Day, one of my favorite movies, but that has just made it worse.

A cautionary tale.

###

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ziggy zaggy ziggy zaggy hoi hoi hoi

Kerry Liles said...

At least you don't have "I've got you babe..." stuck in your head from GHD.

(If my recollection is correct...)

Also one of my favourite movies.

Yappa said...

Hi Kerry!

After I first read this I was very concerned about having IGYB stuck in my head (because it is even worse than the PP) but for some reason Whipping Post has supplanted everything.

Ah, the Allman Brothers. I can live with that.

Ruth

Bert said...

Damn you, Kerry.....